Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pasadena Turkey Chile







We got our first dusting of snow last night and it is football season, so I decided that a bowl of chile would be the perfect lunch to eat during the pregame. I made turkey chile and it worked out very well. The recipe I used is an adaptation of various recipes I have tried in the past. I keep in the things I like and take out anything I don't. I also like to look at various recipes and see what different ingredients they use and try some of them in my recipe. For this recipe I substitute ground turkey for ground beef as it is leaner and supposedly a little healthier. Today the ingredients I used were:

1 pound ground turkey
1/2 onion chopped(use your handy food chopper)
1 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic
1 can(28 oz) of crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can(15oz) of red kidney beans, drained.

I started it the same way pretty much all chile starts. You put the ground turkey, onion, peppers, and garlic in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat for about five minutes until the turkey is browned. Use a wooden spoon to break up the turkey just as if you were browning hamburger. Next put in the tomatoes and mix that all up, cooking at medium heat for about five minutes. Last you add the water, all the spices, and kidney beans and mix them up well. Bring that to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer it for about 30 minutes. When I simmered it, I put the cover on the skillet but placed it askew so it releases the steam and allows the chile to reduce, but also holds the heat in. After it simmered for about 30 minutes, it was a very nice thick and chunky chile, which I really like. It was not runny at all. If you like yours runny, then you could probably add some more tomatoes. I was very pleased with the results and would definitely make this again. Next time I might leave out the cinnamon. I am not entirely sold on having that in chile. It gave it a little sweetness, which wasn't bad, but I think I might like it better without it. This was easy to make and pretty much idiotproof. The photos are in reverse order. The top photo is the final simmering of the chile. The middle photo is just after the tomatoes are added. The bottom photo is the initial ground turkey and onions, etc. cooking. Below is a video of the chile simmering. Mmmm.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Nicely done and if you would like I am running a simple chili cook off if you would like to submit it (it has a prize also).

I agree chunky chili is always the best and thank god for snow making us want to make chili