Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Mashed Potatoes


In my quest to get better at cooking, here is one more thing that I have learned how to do, and so can you. If you grew up in the Midwest, as I did, there is no greater sight than a big heaping pile of mashed potatoes. It is one of the greatest foods of all time. I used to have some trouble making them, however I finally learned the secret. The secret is to start them in cold water, and then bring them to a boil, rather then just dropping them in boiling water. I peel the potatoes and cut them up into about one inch squares or so. I doesn’t matter that much as they get mashed anyway. As I peel and cut up each potato, I put them in the cold water in a large cooking pot on the stove. Putting them in the water as you peel them keeps them from going brown as you peel the rest. Once all the potatoes are in the pot that I want to cook, usually four at a time, then I turn the burner on high and bring the taters to a boil. Keep them at a boil for 12-15 minutes, and then they are done. Test them at 12 minutes and leave them in for a few more minutes if they need a little more time. I pour them into a strainer and drain the water, and then put them back in the pot, where I add about a ¼ cup of butter or margarine and ¼ cup of milk. Bring on the potato masher and go to work. You can add a little more milk and butter to adjust it to your taste, and you can mash them however much you want. I don’t mind leaving some lumps in to give them a little more texture. That’s all there is to it. So easy even I can do it!

No comments: